Sunday 12 April 2020

When you Realise your Natural Hair is Enough


All Hair Types are Beautiful



At a very young age, I never knew that hair types were described as good or bad. To me, all hair types are beautiful. However, as we grow older and have several interactions with people from different backgrounds, what we thought was normal and simply beautiful can be overlooked by many. Oftentimes some people are not accepting of different ideals or those who fail to realise that everyone is different and everything about us is unique. The way we talk, walk, the clothes we wear, the foods we eat, what we choose to do in our everyday lives is what should distinguish us from one another. We all have different cultural norms that play a big part in how we view the world. Embracing your roots is a very difficult task especially in a society where being different or 'Weird' is considered deviant or going against societal and cultural norms. 
Conscious Awareness 

If you look closely at the image to the left you will see that the length of my hair was just under my ears. This was about one year and a half after I cut it to remove the relaxer that I used in my hair. 

Growing up I watched movies and Television shows that mostly represented people with bone straight hair. If there were people of colour on the screen their hair was either temporarily pressed or permed. It was the norm in film. 

I never realised the difference until I started to observe the behaviours of different people that I came into contact with. It was disheartening to see that curly and coily hair (mixed and black alike) were rarely represented both on and off the screen. 

It took a lot from me to become consciously aware of this. I believe that doing history in both secondary and tertiary level of education helped me regain the confidence I had of myself as a child growing up.                                   

The image below was taken about seven years ago. The hairdresser was amazed by the density of my hair. She was one of many people who encouraged me to never perm my hair. She pressed my natural hair and I could not believe how long and healthy it looked. 

At this point I never thought that a few years onward I would have gone into a mini-mart and purchase a product I knew nothing about and tried it not once, not twice but three times on my hair. On the third try, my hair began looking straighter than before. There was little to no frizz. Were you ever sceptical about doing something knowing that it would cost you in the long run but you end up doing it anyway? Oh boy, that was me.

The image below was me at the moment loving the straightness of my hair. I thought I had done something right. My oh my I was so wrong. Because I had never permed my hair before I didn't know how to manage it. By this I mean I always had many hairstyles that I could try on my natural hair that I could not do because my hair was getting very straight. 
I was unsure of my next step so I went to the salon with my mom. Sometime during March of 2016, I said good-bye to my straight hair and hello to very short hair. 

I thought trying to manage straight hair was a task but short hair proved me wrong. At that point, I was frustrated, furious and stuck. The first few months I was reluctant to leave the house. Whenever I did, someone would always notice my short hair exclaiming, 

"You cut yuh hair? It looks really short."
"Why did you cut your hair?"
"Look how yuh gone and spoil your hair" 
"What did yuh do to your hair?"

I honestly could not take any more questions. It definitely did not make the situation any better. I do not know where the inspiration or motivation came from to 'hit the restart button' but mid-2018 I was already seeing amazing results. 

Learning patience is a talent that not much people have. I had to be patient and tell myself that it is only hair and it will grow back eventually. I started a simple hair routine and because I was consistent I saw remarkable results after just over one year. 

Realistically speaking, this is not the movies and we cannot switch the length of our hair every day. But if we find a routine that works for our hair and maintain that routine, our hair will not just grow but grow healthy.




                        
Live a Little 

Every time I am feeling down or having a bad hair day I would look at the picture on the left and it helps me regain my confidence. To me, that picture represents letting go and living in the moment. Sometimes we get so caught up with life that we forget to live a little. Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves. Many times we neglect ourselves to make others happy. It is like pouring all of our energy into someone or something and not having any left for ourselves. How could we truly help someone if our cup is empty? Stop forgetting to recharge and find positive healthy ways to refill your cup. Let it overflow if it will.                                                  
                          
Natural Hair is Enough 

The picture on the right is a representation of my hair journey late January-early February 2020. I get so excited about wash days and reapplying those amazing products in my hair. Your hair really does play a huge part in your moods, psychological and social well being. 

I would be lying if I said that I was not happier now. Seeing the massive growth and feeling the astounding strength helps me throughout my day. I feel refreshed and ready to conquer the world. 

After all these years I have finally realised that my Natural Hair is more than enough. I hope that you believe and accept that your Natural Hair is enough too.

11 comments:

  1. Let me know if you ever had any struggles with accepting your Natural Hair. What you did to really accept who you truly are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up I was back and forth between my mom and dad. I had a step mother who hated my mother because she was Indian and hated my brother and I because we were mixed. She constantly told us about our ugly skin colours (because we are dark skinned and she was light) and that our hair doesn't make us any less black. None of us felt like we were special because of our curly hair. As a matter of fact I never knew my hair was this curly until I started living with my mom. Because i wasnt allowed to keep my hair out. I had no hair products because she kept them all in her room for her and her child. My hair product was water.

      When I started living with my mother again ( indian ) I always felt like I wasnt good enough because I was too black and I didnt wake up pretty.. with hair that fell into place naturally. I would wake up and try to look presentable so that she doesnt look down on me. I had a racist aunt who would constantly try to tell me that straight hair was better.

      I had friends who asked me what did I do to my hair to get it so curly because it wasnt like this as a child. But that's because I wasnt allowed to keep it out..living with my stepmother.
      I could keep going about exes and other experiences but I'll leave it here.

      Today I am boldly in love with every curl and the different patterns I get on different days of the weeks and weeks of the month.

      Delete
    2. What an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing. You said that water was your only product and it actually is very essential for all hair types. Without water to hydrate our hair, products would not be evenly distributed. Thank God you can look back on your past but it never defined who you are. You are a true naturalista. SO glad you embrace your curly mixed hair. You are special!

      Delete
  2. I got frustrated with my hair and cut it above my shoulders. BIG mistake! Couldn't do my usual go-to hairstyles and i wasn't feeling the short hair look. Advice to my younger self: take time to learn different things you can do with your short hair and work it! work it! work iiitt! What u you said about having patience is so important and i hope i could get there with my own hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short hair is a struggle especially when you are used to long hair. But, the good thing is that it will always grow back even when we least expect it too. And yes, always remember to have patience not only with your hair but every aspect of your life. We are in this together!

      Delete
  3. This is an amazing story . Honestly, I agree .. your hair is your confidence. It makes your outfit on most days. Theres a sort of strength that is displayed when a woman rocks her natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "It makes your outfit on most days." What a powerful statement. And yes, part of our strength lies in our natural hair.

      Delete
  4. Wow I Just Love Your story...I used to get fedup of my hair because I always have to comb it and try to keep it in one place. My hair was Natural Curly and Short. I used to just twist it and leave it then i got fedup and jus wear it in a one. Then people used to make comments to me like "oh you have nice hair u should keep styling it or straighten it, hmmm if I had Hair like yours the amount of hairstyles I would have put it in" First things First my Dad never liked straightening in my hair. He always makes a statement like "Black women has real Beautiful natural hair and they want to spoil it by putting some chemical in it to damage it" so i just listen to him i know he has a point so i never liked straightening in my hair. I used to style my hair regular but i stopped, I always used to say I really don't like too many people hands in my hair. Then my Cousin Braided it for me regular twist braid and yes my hair grew a little i leave it in for about 3 months, then she did faux locs for me which i kept in for 5months and when I took it out my hair was reaching my shoulder length could be longer then I decide to grow a Rass lol Yes i didnt know what to do with my hair now I have the style of a Rasta. Sometimes I sit and think to myself if I should cut It because I really Do Miss my Curly hair Signz😪😪. I never Tried Wig Before Because i always say I Do not Like it but my cousin used to tell me how it grows your hair and stuff but i never took her on lol, but hearing this from you is very inspiring. It looks like your Natural hair and u looked so beautiful with it, makes me want to try it now lol, but Good Story though Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot. It took a lot from me to finally accept my hair for what it is. You have an amazing story as well. Maybe you should take time to sit and really think about it some more. Give it some time. And if you really want to transition again you dont have to cut off all the ras. I believe you can cut it to a certain length and then comb the rest out. Any info I recieve I will info you. Remember we are on this journey together!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Post