Monday 20 April 2020

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...Its a Wig. Ease Meh!



The Controversy Behind My Graduation Lace Frontal Wig




Overall Experience
A few months before my graduation ceremony there was a contemplation upon 'wigging it out.' Mind you, I never wore a wig before. I thought that being able to wear one for the first time would have been a good decision. Two days before my graduation I was still looking for a non-synthetic lace frontal wig. The clock was ticking. I was panicking. It seemed as though the days were getting shorter and I was out of luck. I looked in the mirror and whispered to myself;

"Would I get a wig?" 
"Is it worth it?"
"Am I making the right decision?"
"Will I have to put together a hairstyle for my natural hair?"
                                                           The above pictures were taken before my Wig Installation


The hardship I went through just to get a good quality wig was worth it in the end. Even though most people were used to seeing me with my natural hair I wanted to look a little different. I wanted to give my natural hair a rest. It is not easy to keep up with a natural hair regimen at all. I was doing my hair every week or every other week. It was time to relieve my hair for a while from the workload of washing and combing. I am pro natural hair and I would try my utmost best to protect my hair from any harm at all cost. However, I do believe that wigs are good protectors for natural hair. 

How did it Feel? 
It was evident that I wanted to wear a wig for the very first time. I will be honest and say that it felt weird at first. My head felt lighter than usual. It took me a little while to comprehend that I actually had a wig on my head. Anyone who has ever used extensions, weave or any additional pieces to their hair for the first time would feel the same, or similar. 


Reactions
The comments I received for my lace front wig were both positive and negative. The majority of positive comments came from friends and a few relations. Looking at myself in the mirror I could not fathom how beautiful I looked. Some may say that self-praise is no praise. However, the society we live in today is so bitter and brutal that you have to be strong emotionally and psychologically. On the flip side of the same coin, many will bash, slam and overall criticise every single thing that you do. It is important to be confident in your own skin and be true to who you are. 


The flow of negative comments came from my mother expressly stating her point of view and it was implied by other relatives. I admire my mother for giving her honest opinion before I even bought the wig. On Saturday, I asked her again because I knew what my other topic for this blog was going to be. The answer remained the same. "I did not like it," she replied. Conversely, when I asked her if she preferred that I permed, relaxed or wear weave she could not answer. The entire room became silent. The suspense was killing me. I did feel a type of way but she was completely honest from the get-go. However, her silence when I asked the question demonstrated that she had contradictory views. Needless to say, I never said I wanted to chemically process my hair. I just wanted to wear a wig which is the better alternative to me. 

I saw the eyes of those who did not like my wig. They did not have to say a thing. Their behaviours and overall reactions towards it, I could tell. I saw them. I saw yall. To be honest I did not give a millisecond to acknowledge their reactions because I was beaming. I was glowing. 

Will I wear it again? Why?
The answer is yes. I would definitely wear a wig again. I consider it one of the better protective styles for my natural hair. However, it must be human hair, a style, length and colour I prefer. 








Any changes to be made?
The only thing that I would change or alter is using the hair glue to stick down the hairline/front of the wig. If there is a foam, adjustable strap or band that can work effectively for lace frontal wigs then I would prefer that instead of the hair glue. I live in a tropical region which means that it is extremely hot at a particular time of the year. That being said, using the hair glue in the sunny season only makes it sticky. For the wig to be more durable an alternative would work better. It would also be less messy, more manageable and natural-looking.

Steps I took to remove my Wig


  • I applied baby oil at the hairline so that it would not tamper /ripe off the little baby hairs I have. 
  • I carefully lifted the wig slowly until the entire thing came off.
  • I then removed the cap.
  • Afterwards, I took out the thread and proceeded to unplait my hair.
  • I used a head massager for a couple minutes. 
  • I did a pre-poo (pre-shampoo and condition) using my favourite oils. 
  • I then covered my hair with a plastic cap and let it sit overnight. 
  • The next day I removed the cap, washed out the oils then applied my clarifying shampoo, moisturisers (conditioner and deep conditioner), leave-in and then placed my hair in some twists for a few days. 
  • I also shampooed and conditioned my wig. 

                                                     Picture Taken on the 20th of April 2020. It is still in good condition


Therefore, the controversy was never with me or my wig. It was with some people who never saw me with a wig and then some who are too closed-minded to at least learn about it. 

The contemplation upon 'wigging it out' was 'unbe(wig)ably' fulfilled and  the mirror on the wall was thrilled. 

                                                     
                                        

7 comments:

  1. Please comment below and tell me if you ever worn a wig before. What you thought and would you wear it again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never worn a wig but have been thinking about it. One reservation I have is the fact that it might be hard to conceal my natural hair under a wig. Nevertheless I still consider a wig for doing things I would not do to my own hair like a straight or wavy look, colour because i wont put bleach in my hair or a short style without having to butcher my hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same here. I would not permanently colour, cut short or bleach my hair. So a wig to me is the better alternative. Plus, you can always remove it at anytime and do a protein treatment or a deep condition to ensure that your natural hair stay slaying.

      Delete
  3. Love this topic. Its good to see you came out of your shell and decided to switch up and to make things even more interesting is you took the risk for a big event - Graduation! I not doing that! I give you a thumbs up for that. You looked beautiful and you slayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting. it really was a BIG risk. And now I know what it was like I would do it again. Sometime in the future.

      Delete
  4. Nice reading about your first experience... It is nice to try new things, I think your beautiful both styles ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. Change is hard for some people to comprehend and even harder for them to accept, even if it is temporary. This topic is so complex but it needs to be addressed on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Post