Monday 4 May 2020

My Natural Hair Wash Day Routine. The Products & Items I Use


Where it all Starts 




Every time we think about wash day it should never give us a headache. We should never have a second thought. It is time to wash your hair. Please note that the products I use are what works well on my hair. They have also proven time and time again to be very effective for any style I do on my natural hair.

Here is a List of the Items and the Order in which I use them

  • Head Massager
  • Overnight Oils Pre-Wash Treatment
  • Plastic Cap & Sleeping Cap
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Detangling Brush
  • Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask
  • Plastic Cap again and or Plastic Bag
  • Leave-In
  • Moisturisers
1. Head Massager



The Head Massager above is what I have been using over the last four months. It is actually the second step I take after finger detangling my hair from any old hairstyle. It can be used with or without batteries and can help relieve tension while relaxing the body and mind. I usually use it for about ten to fifteen minutes each time before applying my oil mixture. 

2. Overnight Oils Pre-Wash Treatment


A very popular Pre-Wash Treatment for natural hair is the use of Oils. I have been using this method a few years now and I can attest to its effectiveness. I take each of the oils above, in order from left to right (Extra Dark Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil DNA Treatment with Morrocan Argan Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vitamin E Capsule, Hair Polisher with Aloe Vera and Peppermint Oil). 

I use about a half teaspoonful of each, adding them one by one in an empty bottle I now use for mixing my oils, as illustrated in the picture below. I apply this treatment in my hair the night before and rinse it out the next day just before I shampoo. 




3. Plastic Cap & Sleeping Cap 


After applying and massaging the oils in my hair I proceed to put it into four sections (braids, twist, or just wrap). One of the three listed all depend on my mood and the time of day. However, they are all worthwhile ensuring that the oils penetrate deep into my hair scalp, shafts, cuticle, follicle and strands to restore the balance of moisture. I then place the plastic cap over my head and then the sleeping cap. The sleeping cap is to ensure that no oil gets on my pillow or bed while I sleep at night. 

It is important to note that too much oil on the hair can cause clogging of pores and preventing the hair follicle from growing in its most normal state. Our hair already produces natural oils known as sebum. It is best to use just enough oil and add as you go along instead of dumping a glump of oil on your hair and expecting a great result. Just do not overdo it! A little goes a long way. A lot can be harder to remove and cause abnormal behaviour in the way our hair grows, feels and looks. 

4. Shampoo



The next day, I remove the sleeping cap and plastic cap from my head and unravel each section one at a time. I then use lukewarm water to wash out the oil treatment from my hair before applying the shampoo. I apply my shampoo section by section which allows me to use less and to evenly distribute it to each section of my hair. I massage,  not scrape my roots, then I allow the shampoo to rinse out completely. I used to shampoo my hair twice a month and co-wash twice a month. However, because of the pandemic, I had to alter my regimen a bit. 

I doh wanna be in an outta Pennywise every week nah. Plus I kinda cheap, no lie. 

Now, I shampoo the first week of each month and on the third or fourth week, I co-wash.  

4. Conditioner

Now, a lot of natural hair influencers and critics suggest that many regular conditioners are unnecessary. However, I use my conditioner as a method to prepare my hair for deep conditioning or a mask. Conditioning your hair locks in moisture which helps the hair look and feel healthy and shiny.

5. Detangling



Swissco Pro is the way to go. Now, before I used the detangling brush shown above I only used to finger detangle my hair. However, after I use my regular conditioner I section my hair like usual and brush each section to further detangle it. 

Detangling is effective for evenly spreading the product throughout our hair. It can also help reduce frizz, split ends and breakage. 

I was hunting online an offline for a good detangler and I never stopped until I found one. I never expected to get something great at a reasonable cost. One day i went Pennywise and it took me about fifteen to twenty minutes searching for a good detangler. 

However, I only use it while I apply my conditioner to each section. I use two methods; finger detangling and detangling with my swissco pro detangler. 

The only disadvantage which is kind of an advantage is that whenever I use the detangling brush old hair that needs to come out gets stuck in the brush. The good thing is that because it gets stuck in the brush the hair that comes out willingly will have a lesser chance of going back on my hair.  The latter can also increase the likelihood of breakage, frizz and split ends. 

Therefore, after I detangle each section, I wash out my brush and remove all the hair from it. 

6. Deep Conditioner/Hair Mask




When I deep Condition my hair I usually mix these two deep conditioners together. Dr. Miracle's Feel it Formula (super) and Macadamia Oil Moisturising Deep Conditioner surprisingly works well together. The first time I tried it I was honestly scared. 

However, I am not one to use all the products from the same brand. So, I took the risk and it worked. Deep conditioning takes it a step further than regular conditioning. It actually penetrates layers deep and is stronger, helps to put moisture back in our hair all while adding shine and making it healthier and better-looking. 




I have been using the above hair mask more regularly than the deep conditioners I previously mentioned. The Macadamia Oil Premium Hair Mask has been working really well for my hair lately. I have no complaints. The packaging used and the amount may seem small but it is very sufficient, even for my thick hair. 

I keep my hair hydrated with water during the washing period. This way, the products just glides on my hair and is spreaded equally on each section of hair. I do not use the detangler at this stage. Instead, I use the raking and praying hands method. After I apply the hair mask to each section, I then combine all four sections and put them in the same plastic cap I used previously during the oil treatment stage. 

I leave it in for 30-45 minutes without going under a hooded dryer. I rely on the natural heat coming out from my head and the plastic cap that traps it. 

However, many prefer to apply heat but I don't. 

7. Leave-In



Finally, I get really excited about this part because I love applying my leave-in conditioner. Not just because it is a leave-in but also it is a leave-in that was manufactured in Trinidad, where I was born and raised. This product is amazing and I recommend it to anyone. Anyone. Periodt. 

Since I started using it I never looked back to another leave-in. This does not mean that I will never try something new but it is my go-to leave-in conditioner.

I usually apply my Irish Moss Leave-In Conditioner in the shower. I am all about saving plus I am cheap so using it in the shower is very effective. Also, it is water-based and any product that is water-based gets a plus from me. Additionally, it is free of parabens, silicone and sulfates. 

8. Moisturisers



Lastly, I apply two of my favourite moisturisers; Hair Moisture Therapy and Honey Shea Twist & Seal Butter. 
Because I have coarse hair using and mixing both moisturisers help to maintain and retain the moisture in my hair. While applying them and afterwards, my hair feels silky, smooth, soft, light and really moisturised. Both are also manufactured in Trinidad. My go-to protective hairstyles after washing my hair are Bantu knots, two-strand twists and braids. 


So, the next time you decide to wash your hair make sure that you are in a good mood and you take each step seriously. 

Also, a simple hair regimen can go a long way. The problem that most of us have is actually implementing it. Once you've mastered the art of creating a hair regimen and implementing it, you will start to see the results you have been longing for. 

So, what are you waiting for? It's time to become the artist and see yourself reimaging and rediscovering better healthier hair. I am waiting for you. We are in this together!  

12 comments:

  1. Let me know what products you use for your wash day routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice read! And lovely pic :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read it

      Delete
  3. I loovveee me some mixtress J. Cant imagine my wash and go without.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative. Thank you for sharing. Croissance Hair Moisture Therapy is my fave! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read every single bit of my wash day routine. And everyone's talking about Croissance these days. It really is a great product.

      Delete
  5. I like how you mix different products to create something that works for you and your hair, the oils especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing your products to get the results you want. It is all out trial and error🤗

      Delete
  6. I like how you mix different products to create something that works for you and your hair, the oils especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would have loved to see the end result of using these products in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will post it tomorrow and update this blog post. Thanks for reminding me. Or maybe I will do a separate post "A week in my natural Hair" and post a pic right before I pre-poo my hair.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Post