Thursday 23 April 2020

LettHers Take Pride in Hair Dignity

                                                                                         









Dear Readers, 



This letter is for those who have read my previous post on my experience wearing a wig for the first time. Please note that I was no way trying to disguise my true identity. I love my culture and all of the fruitful things that come out of it. I am, however, not afraid to try different things and then give my views on such things. As stated in my description, natural hair is so diverse that there are so much to talk about. 


Sometimes many things are lost and some on the other hand are miscommunicated or altered in the transporting outlet. Whether it is by a person or thing (tangible and intangible) alike. I am so thankful for the honest feedback I received. It will, in turn, promote my blogging experience in a positive way. I try my utmost best to be open-minded and I believe that it is the only way that this blog will be relevant. 


Because of the feedback that I encountered, I am now able to expand on some things that came about while chatting with several persons on the topic of natural hair and protective hairstyles. The four points were; 



1. Emulating a Culture that does not Emulate your Beauty

2. Norm of "Hairstyles" - Protective Hairstyles


3. Gave Rise to a Booming Industry 


4. Don't wanna Wash your Hair? Wrap it!



1. Emulating a Culture that does not Emulate your Beauty.

It is said that black women try to emulate a culture that does not intensify or emulate their true beauty and identity. This was a very powerful statement because there is a lot of truth to it. However, living in a society where specific elements of one's race or culture is seen as 'beautiful,' while other aspects are seen as 'ugly and unacceptable' is very contradictory. For many years, the things that are considered of African or black culture are ridiculed. On the flip side, if another race embraces it, it is seen as wonderful. 

The above analogy creates a superior/inferior complex. To me, everything in life has a structure and every one of us are placed in such a structure whether we like it or not. However, many people are consciously aware of this and try to do something about it. Conversely, others just go wherever the winds blow...they could care less. 



2. Norm of "Hairstyles" - Protective Hairstyles 

For many years there has been an ongoing debate on the effectiveness of protective hairstyles used by women; particularly black women. As previously stated in my first blog post a couple weeks ago, how a person chooses to wear their hair is totally up to them. I can only give my perspective based on research I have done and the stance I take on any topic; hair related and non-hair related. I gave my honest opinion on my previous post which I completely stand by. I did not disregard or neglect my natural hair for a wig. I simply wanted to try a style that I never considered or thought I would ever do. 

 I took a risk on one of the biggest days of my life, my graduation. Even if I did not like the outcome I would have had to live with it for the rest of my life. The choices we make today can affect our tomorrow. However, one way to grow and learn is by asking questions and learning from our own mistakes and the mistakes made by others.  Speaking to people who are genuinely invested in us can also affect the lens we choose to look through our world with. Is your lens bias? Is it foggy? Unrealistic? unapologetic? Humane? Open-minded? Some of us might have more than one. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree. 


3. Gave Rise to a Booming Industry

This is another strong point that came out of discussions with persons based on my previous blog post. It is often said that the hair industry knows how to target black women into buying their products because we see it as a necessity. 

This point is very complex. Even though black people are not the benefactors of such industry there is no denying that women for a long time do not know how to upkeep their natural hair. Many of my 4 C naturals are unaware of the ways that they should treat and style their hair. Some are frustrated and resort to protective styles which are completely their choice. 


On another note, many hair salons and professionals involved in this so-called industry do in fact benefit from it. Whether it is buying products in bulks to sell in retail markets or buying, selling and also utilising the products and hair in their salons and beauty parlours. Additionally, even if some may see it as betraying their cultural identity others may see it as an alternative. A way to enhance their financial endeavours, create opportunity for others or even further develop a skill. 


4. Don't wanna Wash your Hair? Wrap it!

Mention must be made for this point that many women now are wrapping their hair as compared to years gone by. Anyone who knows me knows that I wrap my hair for almost everything. I wrap my hair to sleep, if I do not feel to comb it, to go a rehearsal, to the grocery, market, church or if I am just in a wrapping mood. 

There was this one time ah man in ah maxi taxi saw my head wrapped and asked me if I was ah Baptist. I simply did not answer he nah because yuh doh have to be ah baptist to wrap yuh hair. 


To add, for my graduation I had envisioned a particular look and that is what I wanted to achieve. By wearing a wig it does not insinuate that I dislike my natural hair or that I am quick to jump on the wagon and do what others are doing. I take pride in all that I do and everything I do can be justified. 


Disclaimer 

Please note that everyone is entitled to their own opinion/s and even if we have differing views we should always find common ground and "take our pride in our dignity."

Sincerely Yours,


Natural Curl Girl




1 comment:

  1. I always encourage you all to leave your thoughts below. Please leave a comment so that we can build on the discussion. It is a very complex topic which many are afraid to speak on.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Post