Monday 6 July 2020

The Aesthetics of Black Afro Hair is Beautiful



But I Have Questions?

Morning has broken and the gods began waking up each hair strand. Do you know how long it takes to awaken each hair strand? My mind was uneasy and my hair looked "disgusting." It was dry, frizzy and knotty. You know, some of the words you use along with rough, unkempt and unruly just to name a few. Now, the derogatory remarks are all that I have ever known to be true. Is it true what they say about the thick hair that my mother used to plait? Why didn't mother tell me the history? What does my hair really want and need? How can I fully understand all of her components? You could tell it needed water. It was begging for war-ta. You do not hold the bucket that pours the water to wet my hair. So, why do you feel the need to criticise each angle of my mane? 

What did she ever do to you? My hair got up. She was talking to me. But, as always, I never listened. I continued pressing and pressing and pressing away, the roots and shaft of my hair to satisfy the trendy men. If only I had known better. If only it was taught in school. If only we had those around to tell us it was okay for our hair to soak up the sun and defy gravity. Damn it. Why didn't they tell us our hair had superpowers? 


I pulled my mane and she reverted to her shrunken state. Why do they make me feel bad because it bounces like a basketball but never reaches the basket? Wait! Am I awake?
My mind is always racing because I can never be satisfied. The integrity and diversity of each strand was always contested by the "other man." What did my hair ever do to you? Why is black hair not aesthetically pleasing? The style and culture make man take it over. It is beautiful on ah next but "disgusting" on my sis?


Does my mane make you feel uncomfortable? I see the way you scold and try to deflate her soul. When the souls of the dead reincarnate then and only then you will learn to appreciate, dedicate, locate, meditate and celebrate. The aesthetics of the strand is more than any man. It's like smoke and mirrors with you man. Why does it always have to be ah competition? Casting stones and storing pipe just to project that my hair naturally swells when wet or when I go to bed at night. 

I can't breathe. I need air. Stop the suffocation. Stop trying to cover me. Yuh know I will always get out. I will walk through the valleys in my armor and swim through the seas just to meet my ancestors at the horizon. They have been waiting patiently for me. To meet in the middle, reflect and discuss the aesthetics is all that I've been dreaming of. Nature understands me better than humans do. Yes, they do. The birds, the trees, the ocean and sea catch feelings and bow down to their knees. Whenever I take off the silk or satin bonnet or scarf you should see the joys in their little hearts.

I do not need to cultivate my hair to transform it to something of social use and value. Black hair does in fact have inherent aesthetic value. Black peoples' hair need not be worked upon to be considered beautiful.


Portray more faces and mane similar to mine because you genuinely believe it is one of a kind. Not just as a gimmick or marketing plan to sell hopeless dreams to us as you've planned. Put us in advertisements and make us shine. After all, aren't we the ones you really want? What is holding you back? Loss of revenue because my melanin is too dark? Or, I now understand. You tried to include us as a part of your master plan. How's that working out for yuh?


They tried to brand us and sell us off not knowing we would rise up from the ashes as the same spirit in different forms. 

When we remove the imaginary lines and dismantle the chains then we can rightfully and willingly rejoice our mane. 

Teach your kin to love and appreciate the mane in every little state. Then you will know you have done your part to get the next generation on the right path.






3 comments:

  1. I do not own the rights to any of these illustrations in this blog post. All rights are reserved to each artistes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amaazzziinggg!!! where did you get this poem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my head and heart. Honestly, it took about 1-2 hours to write and then some to edit and reread. I'm glad that you liked it

      Delete

Popular Post